Vision and Values
Dalat International School has developed values and guidelines for community living which provide both personal freedoms and responsibilities.
As a residence life staff team, we value:
- Christ-likeness and personal integrity, as we believe that providing positive role models for our dorm students is best done when we are continually growing in spiritual maturity and character.
- Healthy marriages and families, as these are the foundation for providing a positive home environment for dorm students.
- Excellence in ministry, as we do our work unto God our Master.
- Co-parenting with our dorm students’ parents, as we believe that regular, loving and honest communication with parents is essential to best serve the needs of their children.
- Team unity and community, as we believe that interdependence and mutual support is essential to the success of our team.
As residence life staff, we seek to mentor and inspire our students to embrace these values:
- Spiritual Growth: Each of our residence life staff desire to see each boarding student grow in his or her understanding of God’s love. Each dorm family will spend time reading the Bible and praying together, as well as attending local church services. In addition to these formal times of spiritual instruction, our staff members will provide Biblical guidance and counsel to boarding students.
- Respect for Others: As we live in close quarters and a small community, an extra measure of consideration needs to be shown to one another. Students are expected to show respect for dorm-mates, dorm parents, teachers, support staff, and those in our community.
- Personal Responsibility and Integrity: The boarding program operates on a trust basis. We trust our students to follow the guidelines of the school and of the boarding program. Realizing that maturity comes through learning from one’s mistakes, we expect students to be cooperative in accepting the consequences for misbehavior. This process will help students mature and develop into people of integrity.
- Healthy Relationships: Students will be encouraged to develop and maintain healthy relationships that are marked by love, consideration, purity and forgiveness. Students should seek to resolve conflicts in appropriate ways.
- Reaching one’s Fullest Potential, academically and in all areas of life: We will provide accountability for our students to ensure they give their best effort to their studies.
- Positive Attitude: A student’s attitude will determine whether his or her dorm stay will be a negative or positive experience. Staff and students will work together to foster an atmosphere of gratefulness, helpfulness, and unity in dorm families. Negative attitudes such as complaining, grumbling, and deception, a critical spirit, divisiveness or disrespect for authority will be avoided.
- Personal Health and Safety: This includes maintaining appropriate personal habits, eating well-balanced meals, using proper manners, and adhering to school safety rules.
- Community Service: We believe that our students’ boarding experience will be enhanced if they reach out to those in need in our community. Dorm families will seek opportunities to serve together in their communities.
We desire that our expectations and guidelines be value-driven, so that our students do not merely comply with a list of rules, but learn the importance of making careful choices in their behavior based on Biblical principles. We hope that our dorm students become known for embracing these values, as they study at DIS and continue on wherever God leads them.