What is a School Counselor?
The goal of your school counselor is to help you understand yourself by helping you assess your abilities, interests, personality and giving you practical advice for classes, activities, and work experience so you can learn to make smart decisions about your life.
Together you and your school counselor will...
- Sort out exactly what your problem is or what decision you need to make.
- Discuss how you feel about the problem or what you need in making a decision.
- Explore alternatives, pros and cons, and how it'll affect your goals in life.
- Decide on what is best and most comfortable for you, understanding that you may need to flex and change.
Your Dalat school counselor is available to help you with...
- Choosing courses and helping you decide what kind of program best fits your goals, needs and abilities.
- Planning what you need during the four years of high school and getting you started on the path of further education.
- Improving your study habits and developing skills that will enable you to succeed in school.
- Working through a conflict with a teacher so that you can better understand and adjust to each other.
- Providing referral information for tutors.
You can talk to your school counselors about . . .
- Feelings, self-esteem, friends, family, making choices about values, lifestyle, future school and career.
- Basically anything ranging from adjusting to school and making friends to planning for college and getting work experience.
Understanding yourself makes it easier to get along with others and still be yourself.
Will what I say be confidential?
Just ask your counselor about what information will remain confidential - "kept" between just the two of you. The secret about harming yourself or harm that will happen to others, is not a secret worth keeping. Personal well-being comes first. If you're concerned about a friend, don't hesitate! Talk to your counselor. You'll be a friend worth keeping!
Your personal development and fulfillment and success at Dalat International School are your counselor's main concerns.
So, come get acquainted. Drop in during your free time or make an appointment. Visit your school counselor if you have a problem or question or just need someone to talk to.
You are always welcome!