Track & Field
Dalat takes the tradition of hosting an annual Track & Field Meet very seriously, involving every single student in MS & HS, from grades 5 -12. Director Karl Steinkamp is adamant that we keep this tradition alive as it is one of the few days where we assemble so many students for an opportunity not only to experience success as individuals, but also as a team. This generally occurs in Mid Nov Semester 1 with the alternate date being Feb in case of rainy weather.
So far in 8 years we have never been rained out! The approximately 340 students are drafted onto 4 equal, colored teams, to participate in a competition run according to IAAF standards. Staff members assist with running the various event which include the standard races 100M; 200M; 400M; 800M; 1500M; 3000M Girls; 5000M Boys; Throwing & jumping events include: Long, Triple & High; Shot Put, Discus, Javelin; We always try to fit in the crowd pleasing 4X100M Relays when time permits & weather cooperates.
In addition to our Dalat Local Meet we have several interested & motivated students involved in MSSPP, Track & Field Competition or Olahraga.
There are Zone competitions followed by State competitions for those athletes who finish in the top 2 of each event. Past State Champions include:
- Jessica Friesen 2004 Pentathlon, 800 M, 1500 M
- Frances Wong 2007 400 M, High Jump
- Drew Steiert 2007 Heptathlon
- Angela Steiert 2008 Pentathlon
- Angela Steiert 2009 Pentathlon
- Andi Thompson 2009 Javelin
- Andi Thompson 2010 Javelin
- Danielle Combrink 2009 200 M
- Danielle Combrink 2010 100 M, 200 M
- Danielle Combrink 2011 80 M Hurdles
- Charlotte Combrink 2009 Cross Country
- Charlotte Combrink 2010 3000 M
- Charlotte Combrink 2011 800 M, 1500 M, High Jump
- Frances Wong 2010 Pentathlon
- Frances Wong 2011 Pentathlon
We have several Island & currently Kelawai Zone Champions as well. MSSPP Competitions generally run Zone Competition in Feb/Mar with State following in Mar/April & the organization typically shares the location between several excellent facilities: City Stadium on the Island itself in addition to Batu Kawan or Bertam on the Mainland. It is here that you can see the mix of foreigners, expats, Indian, Malay & Chinese all competing together in harmony.