Last week I talked about Christmas and mentioned some ideas for making the season a little less commercialized. This week I want to include a “pledge” I found in an article about getting back to the real reason for the holiday:
Believing in the beauty and simplicity of Christmas, I commit myself to the following:
- To remember those people who truly need my gifts.
- To express my love for family and friends in more direct ways than presents.
- To rededicate myself to the spiritual growth of my family.
- To examine my holiday activities in light of the true spirit of Christmas.
- To initiate one act of peacemaking within my circle of family and friends.
The funny thing about this pledge is that really it shouldn’t just be for Christmas. All but one of the items in the pledge can be practiced all year round – I can express my love for family and friends more often and not just with presents, I can focus on spiritual growth in both myself and my family, I can be a peacemaker, I can remember those who are more needy then myself. This is a pledge that does not need to be limited to each December and can be a something that we as a community commit to each day.
Next week I want to talk about the importance of taking a break so with that in mind I want take time this week to wish all of those in the Dalat community a fantastic Christmas season. May it be a time of family, friends, peace, joy, and gifts from the heart.