For the last eight years, Dalat has chosen a theme to focus on together as a community. Previous themes include:
- It’s Not About Me – Life is not just about what you can get out of it but what you contribute to it.
- What’s the Difference? You! – Every person can have a positive impact on the people around them.
- Walk the Talk – Being a school and community of strong character.
- Satu Dalat (One Dalat) – Striving for unity and even a stronger school community.
- Do Hard Things – Challenging the cultural mind-set that teenagers are to focus on selfish goals of fun and little responsibility and instead encourage them to pursue big goals.
- Road Less Travelled – Life is about choices, their consequences, and following your principles not the crowd.
- DISconnect: Relate, Recharge, Reconnect – In today’s world we need to remember that the most important things in life come through relationship not technology.
- Radical: Living a Life of Conviction – Encouraging our kids to be unusual and extraordinary – to be radical.
This year our theme is “First Things First.” Through this theme we want to help our students learn the importance of priorities. We all get the same amount of time each day, twenty-four hours. You cannot earn or buy even a single extra minute. What we do get, is to make choices on how we spend that time. In today’s world the choices are numerous and unlimited as technology has brought the world to our feet. What is needed in today’s world to be successful in life (spiritually, emotionally, and physically) is the ability to prioritize the important things. Simply put, you will always have time for the things you put first. The question is what will you put first?
In the coming weeks and months we will bring the theme alive in our classrooms and in other activities around school. Dalat also chooses each year to focus on one of our ESLRs (Expected School-Wide Learning Results), and for 2014-15 it will be “Transformed Thinker.”
We look forward to the Open House tonight and the possibilities for us to connect in important and lasting ways.