I came across an interesting article this last week with the title, “Science Says Parents of Successful Kids Have These 13 Things in Common.” Since we have been talking often this year about steps we can take to help our students become successful in life (specifically in the area of GRIT), I felt I had better read the article, especially since it had the word “science” in the title. What was interesting was how many of the 13 things are topics we have talked about this year. Here is an abbreviated list of the things parents have in common from the article. If you have the chance, I would encourage you to take the time to read the article, as it gives specific information on each of the 13 things listed.
- They make their kids do chores.
- They teach their kids social skills.
- They have healthy relationships with each other.
- They invest in the relationship with their kids.
- They value effort over avoiding failure.
- The moms work.
- They teach “grit.”