Each of the last 10 years, Dalat has chosen a theme to focus on together as a community. Previous themes include:
- It’s Not About Me – Life is not just about what you can get out of it, but what you contribute to it.
- What’s the Difference? You! – Every person can have a positive impact on the people around them.
- Walk the Talk – Being a school and community of strong character.
- Satu Dalat (One Dalat) – Striving for unity and even a stronger school community.
- Do Hard Things – Challenging the cultural mind-set that teenagers are to focus on selfish goals of fun and little responsibility, and instead encourage them to pursue big goals.
- Road Less Travelled – Life is about choices, their consequences, and following your principles not the crowd.
- DISconnect: Relate, Recharge, Reconnect – In today’s world we need to remember that the most important things in life come through relationships not technology.
- Radical: Living a Life of Conviction – Encouraging our kids to be unusual and extraordinary – to be radical.
- First Things First – Learning the importance of being able to set and keep priorities.
- GRIT: Growth, Resilience, Integrity, Tenacity – What is “grit”, why is it a crucial trait for success, and how to develop it in our students?
This year our theme is “Spark: Power to Ignite.” We will focus on the power of passion, the power to inspire, and the power of ideas.
In the coming weeks and months, we will bring the theme alive in our classrooms and in other activities around school. Dalat also chooses each year to focus on one of our ESLR’s (Expected School-Wide Learning Results), and for 2016-17 it will be “Passionate Learner.”