For each of the last 11 years, Dalat has chosen a theme to focus on together as a community. Previous themes include:
- It’s Not About Me – Life is not just about what you can get out of it, but rather what you contribute to it.
- What’s the Difference? You! – Every person can have a positive impact on the people around them.
- Walk the Talk – Being a school and community of strong character.
- Satu Dalat (One Dalat) – Striving for unity and even a stronger school community.
- Do Hard Things – Challenging the cultural mind-set that teenagers are to focus on selfish goals of fun and little responsibility, and instead encourage them to pursue big goals.
- Road Less Travelled – Life is about choices, their consequences, and following your principles, not the crowd.
- DISconnect: Relate, Recharge, Reconnect – In today’s world we need to remember that the most important things in life come through relationships not technology.
- Radical: Living a Life of Conviction – Encouraging our kids to be unusual and extraordinary – to be radical.
- First Things First – Learning the importance of being able to set and keep priorities.
- GRIT: Growth, Resilience, Integrity, Tenacity – What is “grit,” why is it a crucial trait for success, and how to develop it in our students?
- Spark: Power to Ignite – The power of ideas, the power of passion, and the power to inspire.
This year our theme is “It’s Still Not About Me” and is a revisit to our first theme 11 years ago. The focus of the year will be on helping our students understand that life is not just about themselves, but about their impact on those around them; to not just be a “taker” in this world, but a “giver” as well.
In the coming weeks and months, we will bring the theme alive in our classrooms and in other activities around the school. Dalat also chooses each year to focus on one of our ESLRs (Expected School-Wide Learning Results), and for 2017–18 it will be “God Seeker.”