With all of its benefits and all the hardships we have faced over the last 12 months I would encourage us this weekend to try and find ways to increase the amount of laughter in our lives.
I came across a statistic that caught my attention. “In the 1950’s people laughed an average of 18 minutes a day. Today we average between 4-6 minutes a day.”
There is so much we could discuss when it comes to this statistic but simply I would encourage us to try and reverse the trend and start taking intentional steps to increase the amount of laughter we have in our lives. Did you know that laughter is an incredibly important part of a healthy and fulfilling life? Here is just a short list of the benefits of laughter:
- Laughter can boost your immune system by up to 40%
- Laughter can physically reduce pain in the body
- Laughter literally protects your heart – laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow which helps the heart function better.
- Mental Health Benefits: adds joy and zest to life, eases anxiety and fear, relieves stress, improves mood, enhances resilience
- Social Benefits: strengthens relationships, attracts others to us, enhances teamwork, helps defuse conflict, promotes group bonding
Now, if it has been a while since you have laughed, believe it or not you can go to websites that will teach you to laugh. The website “How Stuff Works” literally has videos on how to laugh. My hope is that you are not at the point where you must do research to be able to laugh.
With all of its benefits and all the hardships we have faced over the last 12 months I would encourage us this weekend to try and find ways to increase the amount of laughter in our lives. Read a funny book, watch a funny TV show or movie with your family or friends, ask someone if they know a good joke and then listen to it, play a game that you know will create laughter (charades, Pictionary), etc. If we do this it might just be the “medicine” we need for all that we are going through right now.
Have a laughter-filled day today!