17 May 2019
"As we finish out the semester, are there some things we can do as parents and students that can make this busy time a little bit more manageable?"
The last month of the school year is always a crazy one. As we work towards completing the year, there are many things that need to be done (exams, projects, etc.). At the same time, there are a number of events that take place to celebrate our students and their achievements. All in all, it makes for a rewarding but crazy time.
As we finish out the semester, there are some things we can do as parents and students that can make this busy time a little bit more manageable:
- Get Enough Sleep: Though it is a busy time, if we don’t get the rest we need, we can get sick, tired, emotional, and easily overwhelmed.
- Eliminate Some Things: Take a look at your schedule and see if there is anything you are involved in often that you could possibly skip just for this month.
- Make Time for Goodbyes: An international school is a transient place with people coming and going. In the busyness of May, do not forget to put time and effort into saying goodbye to those who are leaving.
- Say No: It might be difficult, but you may need to say “no” to somebody this month. Simply explaining how busy you are and that you need to say no will hopefully be understood by them.
- Rest is Coming: Knowing that a time of rest is near can help sustain you during a busy time of activity. For that reason, it would be good not to plan a lot of activity right after the semester is over. Give yourself a little bit of time to recoup before heading out on some big adventures or taking on a big challenge.
My hope for you is that this weekend is one that does provide an opportunity to rest and relax, even if it is just for a little while.
Written by Karl Steinkamp
Recent Reflection Articles
I greatly enjoy putting away my computer and to-do list and spending 45 minutes talking with one of our students. I believe that this is one of the most valuable things I do…
Fake news has become a part of modern day life…here are some of the fake news stories about the virus that have circulated to millions in the last couple of weeks.
People are encouraged not to gossip or spread stories about others because they can be destructive in many ways, yet rumors abound even in the best of times.